1 medium yellow onion diced
¼ c butter
1 c white wine or apple cider
2 pounds (about) of peeled or scrubbed Jerusalem artichokes diced
1 medium Yukon Gold potato peeled and sliced
4 c of chicken stock or vegetable stock
2 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon of dried
½ c of cream, half and half works, for richer taste use whipping cream (35%)
salt and pepper to taste
truffle oil, or any other aromatic oil and croutons are optional
1. Saute onions in butter until translucent, add wine or apple cider , reduce volume by half.
2. Add Jerusalem artichokes, potato, stock and thyme, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until veggies are done. Discard thyme sprigs if used.
3. In a blender puree soup in batches until smooth
4. Add cream and season with salt and pepper.
5. Heat to serving temperature, making sure not to boil again
6. Garnish with a swirl of aromatic oil and croutons once you have ladled the soup into serving dishes. This is optional but looks pretty.
7. This quantity serves 4 to 6 people.
Caution: Jerusalem Artichokes cause flatulence in some people, so it is best not to eat this soup just before a yoga class.